I began to read to Kai as a baby and somewhere I just fell off. I started to see how he became dependent on his tablet, or TV. As a parent this really bothered me one I didn’t have access to these types of devices as a child and secondly I wanted to get more hands on with the learning process. So I decided to bring back our bedtime reading.
- I purchase most of my books at Ross, TjMaxx or Marshalls, you find amazing children’s book a discounted prices.
- I created Kai a book shelf this way the books are organized and have a special place.
- I allow Kai to choose the book he wants to read, it gives him the chance to feel as though he is in control.
- I get into character I am very animated when reading to my little one it keeps his attention. Changing voices and using my hands for motions.
- I always involve him in the reading even if it means stopping and having him point to this or that image.
The goal in reading to Kai at night is to create a routine and to get him settled in for bed. I also want to encourage him to not be dependent on modern technology. I truly believe that learning begins in the home. Until next time be sure to subscribe, like and share.